Pages

Friday, June 14, 2013

Peach Cobbler

Let me start first by saying that this recipe is probably one of the best I have ever made.  Amazing.



There's nothing that takes me back to summer at my grandma's house faster than the smell of fresh peaches.  Thinking back, I'm not sure how often she actually cooked with peaches (I was a picky eater and never ate them), but it must have been relatively often.  There's just something about the smell of a fresh, ripe peach that puts me at her kitchen table with a warm breeze blowing in through the sheer curtains on the windows.  It provides a feeling of comfort and peacefulness.

I only recently started eating peaches; I'm not really sure why I would never try them, because they're wonderful.  I guess that just means that I have a lot of catching up to do!

I wanted to try a cobbler recipe.  Again, because I was a picky eater, I never tried cobbler and didn't have a cobbler recipe.  After some searching, I found one on All Recipes.  (If I haven't mentioned it before, this is my go-to place for recipes.  I love that there are reviews, suggestions, nutritional info, and apps for my phone & iPad.  I get 90% of all of my recipes from this site.)  This cobbler sounded relatively easy to make and over 1400 people can't be wrong, so I decided to try it.  You should too!  The original recipe location can be found here.

Southern Peach Cobbler
Ingredients:
 8 fresh peaches - peeled, pitted, and sliced into thin wedges
1/4 C white sugar
1/4 C brown sugar
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp fresh lemon juice
2 tsp cornstarch

1 C all-purpose flour
1/4 C white sugar
1/4 C brown sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
6 Tbsp unsalted butter, chilled and cut into small pieces
1/4 C boiling water

MIX TOGETHER:
3 Tbsp white sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon

Directions:  
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). 
2. In a large bowl, combine peaches, 1/4 cup white sugar, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, nutmeg, lemon juice, and cornstarch. Toss to coat evenly, and pour into a 2 quart baking dish. Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes. 



3. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine flour, 1/4 cup white sugar, 1/4 cup brown sugar, baking powder, and salt. Blend in butter with your fingertips, or a pastry blender, until mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in water until just combined. 

4. Remove peaches from oven, and drop spoonfuls of topping over them. Sprinkle entire cobbler with the sugar and cinnamon mixture. Bake until topping is golden, about 30 minutes.




 Alright, now you need to go make some.  You know you want to! :)

Happy Weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment