Pages

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

A Summer Hiatus & Snack Drawer

If you've been following this blog, you've probably noticed that I haven't blogged for an entire month.  At the beginning of the summer I thought I would write lots of posts since I had plenty of time on my hands.  For whatever reason, I have not. 

I love summer.  Actually, I hate the extreme heat that our town always seems to find (when the surrounding areas are always 15 degrees cooler), but I love the opportunities that summer always brings.  Growing a garden leads to delicious meals, warm nights mean drive-in movies, summer months encourage weddings, and more daylight just in general brightens my mood.

Below is just one simple project from the summer.


Snack Drawer
I'm unfortunately the type of person who loves to buy peppers, carrots, yogurts, etc. with the full intention of eating them for some healthy snacks but forgetting about them until they're rotten and moldy.  After cleaning out our fridge and throwing away unopened rotten packs of foods for the millionth time, I decided something needed to change.  I saw a similar idea for a "snack drawer" on Pinterest and thought it would be a really simple solution for my snack problems.

I found a plastic bin at Bed Bath & Beyond that I thought would work perfectly.  You can find it here.  I took all of my snacky items and placed it in the bin in the fridge.  It allows me to easily see my options for a healthy snack which was a problem before.  Also, because I prepare everything and place the items into bags/containers, all I have to do when I want a snack is pick it up and eat! 

 You can include anything you want in your snack drawer! 
Some ideas include:
  • Veggies: Bell Peppers, Carrots, Celery, Cucumbers, Broccoli
  • Fruits: Apples, Oranges, Grapes, Berries
  • Cheeses
  • Nuts
  • Yogurts
  • Boiled Eggs

These were very minimalistic pictures of our snack drawer.  It's constantly changing in its contents as we remove and add things to it.  I love the convenience it provides.  Before we made this, it was so much easier to just grab a bag of chips or a cookie than to slice a pepper into strips.  We no longer let our veggies sit and go bad.  Since we can see what we have and all of our snacks are in the same place, we're eating what we buy & snacking healthier!



No comments:

Post a Comment